CONCRETE PAVER SHAPES: THE PERFECT WAY TO CREATE A UNIQUE PATIO DESIGN
Concrete pavers are a fantastic way to create a beautiful, functional and environmentally friendly patio to enhance the beauty of your California Bay area home. Today, manufacturers are offering pavers in a wide variety of colors, textures, patterns, and shapes. Combining concrete paver shapes and textures allow you to create anything from simple and elegant patterns to intricate, unique, artistic designs.
The wide variety of colors, shapes, patterns and visual textures allow you to add charm, vitality, and ambiance to your patio area. By mixing and matching different shapes and colors, you can define your outdoor living space and add interesting visual elements to create a subtle focus that can help to enhance the overall architectural ambiance of your home.
Let’s explore some of the many concrete paver shapes available and how you can use them to create your ideal outdoor living space.
THE SCIENCE OF CONCRETE PAVERS
Today, modern manufacturing techniques allow for the production of concrete pavers in a wide variety of shapes, colors, textures, and sizes. These are created to work together and interlock, making a flexible, yet stable and durable patio surface.
The geometry and physics of the structural performance of concrete pavers have been researched extensively. It’s been determined that “dentated” shapes key into each other and their plan geometry allows them to interlock and resist joint movement making for a high level of stability and durability.
Researchers have divided paver shapes into three types:
- Fully interlocking on both axes
- interlocking on a single axis
- Non-dentated – basic square and rectangular shapes.
Many geometric shapes lend themselves to modular paving. However rectangles are the easiest to manufacture and ship and as a result, have dominated the hardscaping market for years.
Today, homeowners have become more sophisticated, and strong demand for new, innovative products has emerged. Manufacturers have taken notice and thanks to new techniques, manufacturers have begun to develop and offer a variety of innovative shapes to meet the growing demand of homeowners.
A RANGE OF CONCRETE PAVER SHAPES, TEXTURES AND PATTERNS
Thanks to advanced molding techniques, concrete pavers are available in a wide range of shapes that can be mixed and matched to create intricate exterior designs. Some of the more popular shapes homeowners are using include:
- Key shapes
- Squares and rectangles
- Round edged
- Roman shaped
- Bishops hat
Each of these shapes is individual pavers which can be combined to create the visual look and pattern you desire.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT SHAPE FOR YOUR BAY AREA HOME
Creating the perfect outdoor space today is about much more than merely choosing where to place your patio and how big it should be. Patio design takes color, style, shape, and texture into account. To get a truly spectacular look, work with an experienced hardscape designer. They will work with you to combine shape and pattern using pavers to achieve the perfect aesthetic design.
Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect concrete paver shape to compliment your home’s exterior and architectural design.
- For homes that feature straight lines and little architectural ornamentation, using pavers with interesting shapes installed in a simple geometric pattern can add visual interest to your outdoor living space.
- For more ornate styles, such as a Victorian home, the repeated curves of arched windows and doorways can be echoed throughout your patio design using shapes with curved edges.
- For rectangular, colonial houses, mimic the architectural design using classic, elegant brick-shaped pavers.
- The right pattern can compensate for structural limitations. For example, narrow patio areas can be designed to look wider by laying pavers on a diagonal.
- Wide spaces can be made to appear narrower by running rectangular paver the length of the area. If you have a larger expanse, you have the perfect opportunity to let your creative imagination run free and create areas of visual interest with creative, artistic designs.
Concrete paver shapes can add a layer of depth and visual interest to your outdoor living space. For a really professional design, work with a qualified hardscape designer. They can help you to choose the perfect shape and color palette to create the outdoor living space of your dreams!
If you’re considering creating a concrete paver patio for your Sonoma County home, give the experts at Bayside Pavers a call at 1-(866) 287-2837. We can help you design the perfect patio to meet your family’s unique needs. Our knowledgeable team members are ready to help you create the outdoor living space you’ve been dreaming about!
If you’re in the San Francisco Bay area, our location in Concord, CA at 2455 Bates Ave, Ste K, services East Bay and South Bay homeowners. Our Santa Rosa, CA location at 1619 4th Street Ste 12 can help you with your North Bay hardscaping projects.